Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Kitchen Rehab


This is a picture of the kitchen when we bought our house. We love our house and it is great for our family, but trust me, we did not buy it because of the great kitchen! This is all there is to it. That's it. No dishwasher, a single sink and about three feet of counter space. It is a job just to make lunch. I have to wash and put away all the dishes before I can even make a sandwich because my whole counter top is taken up by the dish rack. We are now making some minor changes (ok, really, we are taking out a whole wall. Oh, the dust!)

Bill is doing all the work. He is amazing! It is so great to have someone in the house that you like. He is great with the kids (the other day I was switching a load of laundry and one of the kids started crying. I came up and Bill had stopped what he was doing to help them figure it out. He now walks in the house and says, "Mr Bill is here. Chloe loves him of course and Micah thinks he knows everything about kitchens) He knows what he is doing and is doing it fast so he can get it done before he gets married to sweet Beka on July 12!

Here is a picture of the wall~ half out

I threw this one in because the ceiling had to come out in the dining room. Bummer. No more drop ceilings. So sad. The crazy thing is that there are no cracks. The woman who owned our house before us put in drop ceilings because she thought they looked good. Talk about a generation gap~ Yikes. The guys (Luke and Chad) had the ceiling out in about an hour. I had no idea it was that easy. There is still more work ahead because we have to patch the holes from the hangers, but I think we would have done it a lot sooner if we had known the ceilings were in good shape.






The wall is out! There will be a peninsula (island as I call it- i know, an island is open on all sides, but who really calls these things peninsulas? Bars, cutouts, islands. That's the lingo I know~ as long as I have more counter space I really don't care~)
Posted by Picasa

I'm standing in the doorway of the back room in this picture.

2 comments:

Rebecca Manor said...

Yay! Now I know what you were talking about. He really did take out that whole wall. Thanks so much fo the updates - I don't feel so far away now :-)

Bethany said...

Thanks for the updates. The kids love to look at the pictures. Zach's jealous of the fish, Abby of the pretty purple tablecloth and the balloons. Now they're sad because I won't look at them for the fourth time.